If you're a trainer, educator, librarian or geek, statistics on social media are a must. Here are a few that I've found recently, together with sources.
1) Global Active Internet Users now totals 3.175 Billion, that’s nearly half of the world’s population (7.357 Billion).
2) As for Social Media, there are over 2.206 Billion active users, a global penetration of 30%.
3) There are 3.734 Billion Unique Mobile Users as of this quarter, accounting for a 51% worldwide penetration.
4) 1.925 Billion users utilise their mobiles for Social Media platforms.
5) Social Media users have risen by 176 Million in the last year.
6) 365 Million active mobile social users have been added over the same time span, an incredible total growth of 541 Million.
7) Facebook adds ½ million new users every day; 6 new profiles every second. An ever-expanding market worth tapping into.
8) Mobile users constitute half of the world’s population, and 2 million smart phones are sold worldwide every single day.
9) 12 new active mobile social users are added every second, that’s 1 Million per day.
10) WhatsApp has gained 300 Million new users since this time last year (August 2014), a year on year growth of 60%.
11) 75% increase in Facebook video posts since 2014
12) 3 million videos shared on Facebook every day
13) 350 million stickers shared each day on Facebook
14) Tumblr has 230.5 million blogs
15) With 107.9 million posts per day
16) and 300 million unique monthly visitors
17) Instagram had a 50% growth between March/December 2014
18) with 30 billion photographs shared
19) and 70 million photographs posted per day
20) and 2.5 billion likes per day
21) 8,195 tweets sent per second
22) 1,558 Instagram photos uploaded per second
22) 1,636 Tumblr posts created per second
23) 46,701 Google searches run per second
24) 92,841 YouTube videos viewed per second
25) 54,806 likes on Facebook per second
26) 1,120 hours of music listened to on Pandora per second
27) There are nearly 1.4 billion Facebook users
28) 47% of all internet users are on Facebook is hit 5 billion times per day
29) The Google+ button The +1 button is hit 5 billion times per day
30) LinkedIn has 347 million registered members
31) Approximately 81 percent of Twitter’s advertising revenue comes from mobile and there is a $200,000 cost estimated for a 24-Hour Promoted Trend on Twitter.
32) YouTube is expected to generate $5.6 billion in gross revenue in 2016. Currently, there are 6 billion hours of video watched on YouTube per month and 1 billion videos watched over mobile phones per day.
33) Flickr has over 3.5 million images uploaded daily by users
34) In an average month, 1.28 billion users are active on Facebook.
35) 30% of the U.S. population gets its daily news on Facebook.
36) Twitter drives just over 1% of all website traffic. While that’s considerably less than Facebook or Pinterest, it’s more visits than are driven by StumbleUpon, Reddit, Google+, YouTube, and LinkedIn–combined.
37) 323 days worth of YouTube videos are viewed on Facebook every minute
38) 400 hours of video are now uploaded to YouTube every minute.
39) More online content is created every 2 days than in the whole of human history prior to 2003.
40) The number of people watching YouTube per day has increased by 40% since last year
Hope that you find those interesting - but remember, they're just statistics, and they mean whatever you want them to mean!